I finally got around to getting the shifter set-up. The first problem was the arm on the rear end was too long and hit the body.
That was easy enough to cut down. I was able to use the bracket on the rear end, I just had to make some adjustments on it.
Then I had to add an extension on to the Yamaha shifter assembly to get the cable to work properly. I also took that as an opportunity to add a little bracket so I could mount the disc brake reservoir. That was easier than welding a bracket to the frame.
I’m using the electric body, so I’ll need to make a cover plate later on.
I can finally install this cover. I just need to get more body plugs.
It looks like today was the last nice day for a while – upper 60’s with sun. Tomorrow it rains and then highs only in the 50’s with some additional rain. I drove about 17 miles today. There is nothing like a freshly paved path:
Something seems to be missing here:
I bought some 3/16″ stainless plate and 2″ square tubing back in November to make a custom engine cradle/swingarm.
I was going to build this over the winter but never got around to it. I finally started this project this week. The weather was all over the place – day 1 & 2 I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and the AC was on. Day 3 & 4 it was jeans and a jacket with the heat back on. On the last day – day 5 – it was back to shorts and a t-shirt.
After triple checking my numbers, I started with these cuts:
Then on to the proper positioning of the cross-member:
One of the key items I needed to incorporate into this was an “anti-wrap” feature or bracing to keep the rear end from wanting to twist under acceleration. This is the final product:
Last test fitting before putting it in the cart:
In and everything looks and lines up well.
I left this oversize as I still need to finalize how I will mount the engine plate to the engine cradle.
I am going to be making custom isolation mounts out of this urethane: